5.01.2010

The day in which I cross a Two-way Street

Two-Way Street
Lauren Barnholdt
Simon Pulse

there are two sides to every breakup.

This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But they clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation.

Then Jordan dumps Courtney -- for a girl he met on the Internet.

It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heartbroken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la -- this is Courtney pretending not to care.

But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot.

Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other.


This book made me laugh. Yup, that's pretty much it. It was a good plot but I didn't enthrall me. But it wasn't supposed to. It's one of those books you take to the beach so you can read and soak up sun at the same time. I kinda got tired of B.J's constant cursing. Yeah, he curses A LOT. And I would've have any problem with this if it was in moderation, but he was dropping an f-bomb every page. Now, I know how teenagers talk (being one helps) but reading it over and over again can irritate. I loved Courtney and Jordan's relationship with each other during the trip, Jordan being so nonchalant about everything and Courtney being up-tight and cold and distant.
Now the book jumps between different time. It shows before the trip, during the trip, and after the trip. It shows how Courtney and Jordan got together, how they dealed with their relationship, and what came after.
Now the side characters made me laugh and roll my eyes in irritation. B.J is always drunk, hung-over, and getting ready to be drunk. He's crazy and curses like a sailor! Courtney's best friend, Jocelyn, is slightly psychotic and a bit stalkerish but has well intentions. Lloyd annoyed so much. Courtney's dad creeped me out though! Read it, and you'll find out why.
My favorite character is between Jordan and Courtney. I loved reading Jordan's point of view because he was funny and blunt. Courtney's point of view was humorous, especially how she views "my space girl" who in her mind is named Mercedes and is perfect and confident in every way.
This is a book about how not everything is completely black and white, and every breakup has a story behind it.
My rating: Meh. (see rating scale at the left of the screen). It was fun to read, but it didn't enthrall me or entertain me fully. I kept on putting it down because I got distracted by another book or an email or something. Usually when a book's good, I can't put it down (the tree incident with Brightly Woven). This book is for ages 14 and up. Just letting people know.

Happy Reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...