11.26.2010

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Who: Brenna Yovanoff
What: The Replacement
When: September 21st, 2010
Why: Cover
How: From Blogger

Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in
the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky
water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a
Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of
fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to
survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us,
to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby
sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry,
known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his
rightful place, in our world, or theirs.



Just saying guys, i'm super sorry for not posting these past few days! I've been in Tennessee on vacation and I woke up extra early to be able to put this online! I've put off writing this review for a long time, mostly because I know this book is gonna be super hard to explain. I really liked it, but it wasn't totally crazy about it, and why I liked it...I have absolutely no idea. But i'll try to the best of my abilities!

First of all, Brenna's writing is fantastic. Even though I knew she was a debut author, I still found it pretty hard to believe! Gentry was a seriously creepy town, and she caught that perfectly into her descriptions. The House of Mayhem as well, beautifully described. I truly felt like I knew the town without her having to pour paragraphs of boring descriptions throughout the book.


The characters were compelling and creepy enough that I totally wanted to know more about then. I loved Mackie, he really was an intriguing and thought-out character. Tate was one of my least favorite characters honestly, not for any true reason, but she was just way to hot and cold for my taste. The Lady and the rest of the monsters were beautifully thought-out and described and I really did fear and love them at the same time. Some people might be bothered that the world wasn't fully explained, but I loved that. The lady said before that what people thought of them was up to their imagination, and Brenna left us enough to wonder but enough to go be completely scatter-brained.


The book was really intriguing over all, and the creepy things had some really blurred lines. Never completely good or bad and you know much I enjoy that!

Overall? AMAZINGNESS. I can't really pin down what made me NOT absolutely love it.


Happy Reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...