1.27.2011

Misguided Angel by Melissa De La Cruz

Who: Melissa De La Cruz
What: Misguided Angel (Blue Bloods #5)
Where: Disney Hyperion
When: October 26th, 2010
Why: Series love
How: For Review

After inheriting the dark Van Alen Legacy,
Schuyler fled to Florence with her forbidden love, Jack. Now the two of them
must embark on the mission Schuyler was destined to complete: to find and
protect the five remaining gates that guard the earth from Lucifer, lord of the
Silver Bloods.

Back in New York, Mimi has been elected Regent of a
crumbling coven. Struggling with her heartache over the loss of Kingsley and
with her overwhelming desire to destroy Jack, she must focus all of her energy
on a perilous new threat. Vampires are being abducted and their captors are
planning to burn them alive online…for all the world to see. Help arrives in the
form of Deming Chen, a Venator from Shanghai, who must untangle the web of
deceptions before the killers strike again.

As the young vampires
struggle for the survival of the coven, they uncover a deadly secret, a truth
first discovered by Schuyler’s mother during the Renaissance but kept buried for
centuries. And as the Blue Blood enclave weakens yet further, fate leads
Schuyler to a terrible choice that will ultimately map the destiny of her
heart.

VAN ALEN LEGACY left me breathless, with it's romance, angst, suspense, and drama. I had high expectations for MISGUIDED ANGEL, and sadly, it fell a bit flat. Since Misguided Angel is in three parts (Sky, Mimi, and Deming), i'll give you my review in three parts instead of the usual!

SKY:

Loved it, as usual. Sky and Jack are so romantic and sweet together, how can I not love them? Their short adventure in Florence before you dive into Mimi was suspenseful, dramatic, and the writing downright lyrical. Though some of the things Jack says are a tad cliche, I think that's his appeal. I mean, he is pretty old (if you know what I mean.)

MIMI:

In the beginning, I never liked Mimi. I thought she was swallow and contrite, but then I got to VAN ALEN LEGACY, and she turned into a kinder, deeper character. When Melissa pulls you back from Italy and takes you to New York, I found a new love for Mimi. She was tortured inside because of her separation with Jack, but she still maintained the control and put her entire effort into helping her vampires and taking care of business as Regent. I loved her and Oliver working together, and I like how Melissa didn't try to pair them up, and they stayed friends. Mimi needed friends, not romance, so that fit perfectly.

DEMING:

Now, this is where MISGUIDED ANGEL fell flat. Deming was a great character really, but I just didn't feel she was as well-rounded as I was hoping for. And then the super sudden romance with Paul? I mean, they had one conversation and she was strangely smitten. And the conversation was a few lines long! The surprise of who was killing was no surprise to me, though to be honest, the why was!

In the end, my main problem was Deming's part of the story, and just the fact that I expected too much after VAN ALEN LEGACY.

My rating? AHHH-GREAT.

Happy Reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...