2.23.2011

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton


Who: Courtney Allison Moulton
What: Angelfire
When: Feburary 15th, 2011
Where: Harperteen
Why: Epicness
How: For Review

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers -
monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds
herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the
Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious
boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only
one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an
immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been
awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He
has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already
killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and
reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant
creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to
ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle
forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers,
prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her
past lives - including truths that may be too
frightening to remember.

Oh man, I finally get to write my review for this one! I've been raving about Angelfire since November, and trust me, this is the book to get! With a witty, snarky, and realistic heroine, drop-dead wonderful hero, and bad beasties on every turn, Courtney's debut is absolutely amazing.

Usually I talk a little bit about world-building and plot (AWESOME plot, just saying.), but I'm just going to dive into Ellie. Because she is so. Freaking. Badass. Seriously, she could kill her with one hand tied behind her back. Also, I love love love the fact that Will, the hero, is considered a creepy stalker in the beginning, because hello? You'd be thinking that too if some random guy starting appearing out of nowhere! She was witty and definitely the kind of person I'd want to be friends with in real life! Ellie can take care of herself, and doesn't need Will around to do it. Will's kind of like a sidekick to Ellie's badass heroine skills, which just made me love the book even more.

Reapers? Are some scary things, ladies and gents. They were ugly, they are mean, and they won't hesitate to rip out your innards. And neither is Courtney. I love how she wasn't afraid to draw out the gory stuff. People get impaled (I can never write this without thinking of Kari from A Good Addiction.), beheaded, stabbed, sliced, and they're all written in epically crafted fight scenes. Now I've read a few angel books in my day, but none have been as original and epic as Angelfire.

Now we get to talk about Will (YAY.) I won't say he's mine, for fear Kari will throw me into a pit of fire, but can I haz one? He's sweet, sexy, and cares so much about Ellie that even while their relationship is progressing (and it's progresses thank GOD. Instant love kills me.) He's a loyal person and knows what has to be done, even when Ellie is reluctant to see that. Their relationship was well-paced, and you can really see the dedication and devotion they have for each other by the end. Plus, he's so socially awkward which I just thought was so adorable and unlike usual heroes where they're all cool and the heroine's floundering all over the place.

And that ending? OMG COURTNEY FINISH EDITING FAST.

My rating? AWESOMESAUCE

Happy Reading!
-Harmony

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...