5.09.2012

"I live Down Below." "What, like you're from Hell?"


Title: Wrecked
Author: Anna Davies
Release Date: May 1st, 2012
Publisher: Simon And Schuster 
Pages: 321
Edition: Hardcover
Cover Judge: Sexy cover, I like the font!
Quote Choice: I like this scene because I started cracking up at that line.
Source: For Review
Goodreads: Link

Secrets of the sea have never been sexier than this.
Ever since the death of her parents, Miranda has lived on Whym Island, taking comfort in the local folklore, which claims a mysterious sea witch controls the fate of all on the island and in its surrounding waters. Sometimes it’s just easier to believe things are out of your control.
But then a terrible boating accident takes the lives of several of her friends, and Miranda is rescued by a mysterious boy who haunts her dreams. Consumed by guilt from the accident, she finds refuge in late-night swims—and meets Christian, a boy who seems eerily familiar, but who is full of mystery: He won’t tell her where he is from, or why they can only meet at the beach. But Miranda falls for him anyway…and discovers that Christian’s secrets, though meant to protect her, may bring her nothing but harm.



So I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book and usually the only way for me to pick apart my feelings are to write my reviews all from-the-seat-of-my-pants-like, so let's do this!

1) I feel like Miranda was a really flat character for me personally. She's had this awful thing happen to her and I understood her at the beginning. She was grieving and mourning and she seemed like this really angry and interesting character who was going to grow. And then she meets Christian and it's like...she becomes a different person. I didn't connect to either of them but it's not like I hated either of them, so you see the thing.

1.5) Can I also point out I wanted Miranda TO SLAP SOME PEOPLE? Seriously, there is not one person in the novel (besides Christian, obviously) who isn't a total asshole to her. The friends that survived were so freaking awful to her as if HEY, she didn't lose some best friends and a boyfriend on that boat as well. What in the world? I understand that she was driving it but those people were on the boat! They saw it happen! And they shunned her and made her feel awful and she just took it. And then her grandmother forcing her to go to the hospital to see her boyfriend whose in a coma and I just wanted her to yell at everyone and tell them off.

2) Christian was well is not a very developed character. He's the type of love interest whose entire existence in the novel is completely tied around the heroine's which creates a very one-dimensional character with a very weak backstory. When Christian is introduced, we learn some very vague things that his existence and this truce between the land and the ocean and really, I just couldn't connect with him at all. He felt more like a plot device than a person, which doesn't make for a good character or love interest.

3) Can we talk about the instalove in this book? Christian saves Miranda from the boat incident and he is instantly attracted to her/the most beautiful thing he's ever seen/he wants to get to know her because he dragged her to the shore. I understand being curious: you've never seen a human before, you saved her life, you want to talk to her. But then you get to Miranda and i'm glad of her initial reaction to seeing Christian just in the water (it was RUN) but after that? There is hardly any character development between the two besides swimming together and one story-time from Miranda.

4) The writing was alright -- descriptive without being overwrought, simple without being boring. But I won't lie by saying that I didn't start skimming after page 250.

SO sadly, wasn't for me! But I've had some friends that are reading it/read it that liked it so there you go!
Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...