6.21.2012

“I'm simply reminding you that you're worth more than what you'll find at the bottom of a bottle.”

Title: Timepiece (Hourglass #2)
Author: Myra McEntire
Release Date: June 12th, 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pages: 336
Edition: Hardcover
Cover Judge: Love, love, love this cover. I hope Myra's publisher makes posters of this one as well so I can get one...lol
Quote Choice: Love this scene
Source: Borrowed
Goodreads: Link

A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...
Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?
Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

* THIS IS SPOILER-FREE FOR BOTH TIMEPIECE AND HOURGLASS*

So the problem with reading books really early and pimping it constantly: I forget that I never write a review for it. So, finally, I can write my review for Timepiece by Myra McEntire. And really, guys? Did you think I'd feel anything besides total love for this book?

Timepiece is a companion/sequel to Hourglass so let me run down what that means. It means you do have to read Hourglass to understand WTF is going on. BUT it's not told in Emerson's point of view and runs down a different story line than Hourglass. But I do recommend reading Hourglass because you're going to be so confused about the time travel and the Hourglass Society and just..do it. You'll love it. And then come back. Timepiece is about Kaleb, a character you met in Hourglass as a hard-ass hot guy with a thing for Emerson and the supernatural ability of extreme empathy.

Kaleb may be riddled in tattoos and a flirt, but he's also a sweetheart. In Hourglass, we see him as a hot mess. He's a nice guy with a bad boy reputation because he goes out and gets smashed and Michael always has to get him out of trouble. In Timepiece, we really get to dig deeper and see why Kaleb is how he is and how difficult it must be for him to constantly be dealing with other people's emotions while at the same time trying to sort out his own. The plot line takes a step back from time travel and into Kaleb using other means to try and figure out how to find Jack on his own (well..with a little help) and put a stop to him. Speaking of help!

Lily is fierce, spunky, and loyal. I've loved her since the first book, I loved her even more when Myra told me I sounded like her (I want to point out that Lily is Cuban American and i'm Cuban American so that's why! Haha), and this just enhanced it for me. We don't get to see too much of Lily since she's not very aware of what's going on in Hourglass but she's in the middle of the action here. In Hourglass you figure out Lily is no ordinary girl and her ability was pretty freaking fantastic when it came to finding Jack and the people after the mysterious Infinity Glass.

Em and Michael are both very present in this book which I hadn't been expecting (I don't know why I wasn't because Michael his best friend and the story is still pretty centered around Em) and they are lovely as always. You definitely see a different side to Emerson after everything that happened in the last book (especially the ending) takes it's toll on her and Michael is an amazing boyfriend. BUT something I loved is that now that we're in Kaleb's head, Michael is no longer the love interest and so, we get to see the resentment Kaleb holds for him and why their relationship is rocky sometimes.

And of course, Myra's writing is amazing. She manages to blend suspense and wit in a way that makes me totally jealous and I can't wait for the next book!
Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...