9.28.2010

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting


Who: Kimberly Derting
What: The Body Finder
When: March 1st, 2010
Why: Hype
How: Contest

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.



I had heard countless reviews of awesomeness about this book and have been wanting to pick it up for so long! Finally, I won it in a contest! The Body Finder is the story of a girl with a morbid ability who's falling in love for the first time while trying to find a killer...before he kills her.

Violet was a a really good heroine. She was impulsive and determined and had crazy frizzy curls that she wished were straight (me too Violet, me too...). And before you saw how cliche that is, 2/4 girls whose hair is straight when she goes to school is really frizzy curls that she takes like 2 hours to do so she can look "acceptable." Ehh. And it's obviously not cliche if I can relate to her for having them in the first place. Relateability is key!

Then there was the plot. Which was actually pretty cool since you see the Killers POV at the end of some of the chapters and those are just epic. But I would have liked it not to be so romance focused (I can't believe im saying this because I freakin' love romance). Like, most of the book was consumed majorly by Jay and Violet's romance and less about KILLER on the loose. Sometimes I was just like: "Gah, I don't care that you're shopping for shoes and Jay is super awesome, get to the KILLER!"

But when the Killer parts with Violet did come, they were awesome. I swear, my mind was gonna like this: *Da dun, da dun da dun, AHH RUNN! KILLER!" Which is always a good sign. Violet was a character who made some impulsive decisions that may or may not have screwed her over, but hey, don't we all? Which is another thing I liked about!

And then we get to Jay. This is the part in my reviews where I start fangirling. But i'ma be honest, I didn't like Jay. He was annoying, and possessive, and extremely temperamental and bipolar and you KNOW, I don't do bipolar boys. Like she does something, and he doesn't talk to her for a week?! It wasn't that effing bad! He just seems like the type of guy who will become like abusive in his future or something! Sure, he had his rare moments...but overall? Jay is a no-no.

My rating? AMAZINGNESS.

Happy Reading!
-Harmony

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...