3.14.2012

"The eyeball with the thick black lashes always wins."


Title: Slide
Author: Jill Hathaway
Release Date: March 27th, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 256
Edition: Hardcover
Cover Judge: I guess it's alright, I like the blue
and the mysterious feeling of it!
Quote Choice: Don't ask me explain but I really liked that sentence.
Source: For Review
Goodreads: Link



Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

So my first thought for this review was: I had some pretty high expectations for Slide since it promised me murder mystery, romance, and crazy drama. But sadly, the story-telling just didn't live up for me.

The concept was definitely interesting, which I appreciated. Vee has been diagnosed with narcolepsy ever since she was young but only she knows the truth -- she has the ability to slide into people's minds. She can't just do it whenever she wants to but when she touches something that they've recently touched, she can see what they're currently doing even if they're far away. That's awesome, right? So when she slides into someone unknown and sees them committing a murder? Insert crazy murder mystery here! Except it wasn't crazy because I totally called every plot point that was thrown at me (so either I've got crazy skills or it was too predictable)

Vee was an alright heroine, but there wasn't anything that really set her apart from any other spunky, confused heroine I've read about. The fact that it's been a while since I've read the book and I don't really remember anything about her speaks for itself, I suppose. What I did love, however, was the whole family drama going on behind the scenes of the big murder going on with Vee. Watching the family putting itself back together, especially the sister's, was probably my favorite part!

The love story was pretty bland but that was mostly because I didn't feel anything between the characters! No passion or even cutesy infatuation, I wasn't even that interested to see them get together.

Overall, I know other people liked it but I just couldn't get into it.
Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...