3.18.2012

“I'm a reader,not a fighter."

Title: Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire #2)
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Release Date: January 31st, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 516
Edition: Hardcover
Cover Judge: I like it less than the Angelfire cover but I still really like it!
Quote Choice: Because my FAVORITE character is Nathaniel.
Note: THIS IS A SPOILER-FREE REVIEW FOR ANGELFIRE. But the summary may have spoilers so don't read it!
Source: Bought
Goodreads: Link

Life as the Preliator is harder than Ellie ever imagined.
Balancing real life with the responsibility of being Heaven’s warrior is a challenge for Ellie. Her relationship with Will has become all business, though they both long for each other. And now that the secret of who she really is has come out, so have Hell’s strongest reapers. Grown bold and more vicious, the demonic threaten her in the light of day and stalk her in the night.

She’s been warned.
Cadan, a demonic reaper, comes to her with information about Bastian’s new plan to destroy Ellie’s soul and use an ancient relic to wake all the souls of the damned and unleash them upon humanity. As she fights to stay ahead of Bastian’s schemes , the revelations about those closest to her awaken a dark power within Ellie that threatens to destroy everything—including herself.

She’ll be betrayed.
Treachery comes even from those whom she loves, and Ellie is broken by the deaths of those who stood beside her in this Heavenly war. Still, she must find a way to save the world, herself, and her love for Will. If she fails, there will be hell to pay.

So if you saw my tweet a few days ago, you know that there are some songs that I sing while i'm reading. They're really short but there is four main ones: "ANGST ANGST" "Seeeeexy Timez" "Oh...Oh my god" "CRAAAAAZY" 

And during Wings of The Wicked? I SANG THEM ALL. Moulton raises the stakes in every way with an amazing sequel to Angelfire that features everyone we know and love -- Ellie, Will, Nathaniel, Kate, and some new people as well! 

I think while reading, you can tell what Courtney really likes to write. FIGHT SCENES. Because hot damn, are they intense! Your heart really starts pounding when you're reading them because everything happens so fast between Ellie and the other virs; people are flying everywhere, limbs are being ripped apart, swords all over the place. But none of it feels too gruesome because she doesn't focus directly on the details which definitely adds a pace I appreciated. 

Ellie is hands down one of my favorite heroines of all time. She is one of the most well-written, realistic teenagers ever. I can imagine her walking down the halls of my school, the way she is. She's fierce and brave but she also gets excited about Coldstone and going to Prom and wants to have a life apart from hunting for her friends and family. In Angelfire Ellie tries to find the balance between the two but Wings, the balance seems to topple and Ellie finds herself more torn between the two when someone close to her dies because of the whole reaper business. At that point in the day is really when Ellie breaks down and this heart-breaking vulnerablility shows for not only her, but Will. She still stays herself but the depiction of a girl grieving while still needing to live her life was perfect. Just completely perfect. 

Now possibly the only thing I didn't like is that I wanted to claw my hair out with Will's constant indecisiveness about Ellie. They'd be apart, pull apart, be together, pull apart and I wanted to just go into the book and yell at them to shut up and kiss already! The sexual tension between them sizzles every time they look at each other but the angst level is intense in and of itself! And then you have Cadan coming from the other side starting to be as sweet and funny as I knew he was going to be, making me want to take him for myself! But Will and Ellie clean up their act quickly and they seriously are the cutest couple. 

Overall, I LOVED it even though Courtney broke my heart on some levels (but in a good way)
Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...