8.02.2010

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Who: Maggie Stiefvater
What: Linger
When: July 13th, 2010
Where: Amazon
Why: Sequel to awesome.
How: Gifted by Eleni from La Femme Readers


In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in
Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her
parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam,
this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to
survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past
has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her
brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.At turns harrowing
and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of
love - the light and the dark, the warm and the cold - in a way you will never
forget.


At this very moment, I have finished Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. I’m writing this review the moment after (which I never do) because I need to get this off my chest. (My hands are shaking writing this review)

Everytime I think Maggie can’t write anything better, she gives me something to marvel at. I was afraid Linger wouldn’t meet up to the amazing standards I had set reading Shiver, but Linger surpassed them. Linger was everything I love in Maggie Stiefvater’s writing—angst, beauty, longing, love, heart-wrenching writing, and that strange sensation of hope when you read her words—and then some.

Linger picks up where Shiver left off, but instead of 2 POVs, we have four. NEVER once, did I have to look up at the header to see who was speaking. Maggie has a way of giving everyone such distinct voices that I always knew when it was Isabel talking or Sam.

If you know me, you know that I consider Maggie Stiefvater the Writing Goddess, and Linger reminded me why. It’s just her words. The way they can make your heart flutter or instant tears prick your eyes. She writes beautifully, decorating her words while not trying to distract you from the point of them.

Linger had everything that I loved from Shiver, that beauty of love that was so present in the first. The way you just know Sam and Grace love each other through the looks they give, the way a small touch could mean so much more than words. I've always thought that was the most beautiful aspect of Sam and Grace’s relationship.

We’re also introduced to two new voices, Isabel and Cole. I liked being able to go into Isabel’s mind because I’ve always been fond of her. She always seemed so….untouchable to me when reading Shiver and being able to see into her mind, see the vunerability and rebellion that boiled inside her, was refreshing and intriguing.

Cole was…complicated. I think that’s the word that sums him up. There were times were I loved him, times where he ticked me off, and times when I wanted him gone. But he was beautiful in his own way, broken and damaged. He was cocky and annoying and didn’t show that he cared, but I think that’s the good thing what Maggie did. I think if Cole’s POV wouldn’t have been added, his character wouldn’t have the impact it had being able to look into his mind. He would’ve just been annoying cocky guy with a broken, caring side. But being able to see inside his mind gave a new light to the world of the wolves. Showing someone that, unlike Sam, wanted to be a wolf more than anything. And I LOVED when he met Grace. I loved reading his reaction to her =P

A lot of people are irritated by Grace’s parents and how it’s unrealistic about how they don’t care, and I don’t agree at all. I have parents who care like hell, who are protective and tell me a thousand times not to open to strangers even though I already know that. But some people don’t. Some people have parents that they never know when they’ll come home. That don’t come for dinner and don’t call to say they’ll be out late. Those people exist, whether you want to admit it or not. It sucks majorly, but it’s something we can’t ignore. I think Grace’s parents portray a type of parent that does exist in this world, even if it’s not you, it’s someone.

Linger was a wonderful, heart-breaking, beautiful read that I will be re-reading a bunch of times. Maggie Stiefvater doesn’t disappoint with the next installment in The Wolves of Mercy Falls.

And the ending? If that doesn’t leave you wanting more NAO, I don’t know what does. As I did for Linger, I’ll be eagerly awaiting the arrival of Forever! Maggie leaves you at an impasse, stuck between not believing what you just read and knowing that it really did just happen. My face= O.O (expect with tears in it.) (But I cry for anything, i'm a big softie)

I already know anything she writes is on automatic buy for me, because she really is an absolutely outstanding writer. This is a book that people aren’t going to forget. In Sam’s word, this is the story of a boy who used to be a wolf and a girl who was becoming one. This is beauty. This is love. This is LINGER.

My rating: AWESOME SAUCE
Happy Reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...