8.18.2010

Interview and Contest with Michelle Zink, author of Prophecy of the Sisters

Today on the blog, I have the lovely Michelle Zink, author of Prophecy of the Sisters and it's sequel Guardian of the Gate!



Guardian of the Gate:


The ultimate battle between sisters is nearing, and its outcome could have catastrophic consequences. As sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe searches for a way to end the prophecy, her twin sister Alice hones the skills she'll need to defeat Lia. Alice will stop at nothing to reclaim her sister's role in the prophecy, and that's not the only thing she wants: There's also Lia's boyfriend James.

Lia and Alice always knew the Prophecy would turn those closest to them against them. But they didn't know what betrayal could lead them to do. In the end, only one sister will be left standing.




1. Where'd you inspiration for this story come from?

The initial seed of the story came from the biblical legend of the Watchers, a legion of angels who were said to have been sent to Earth to watch over mankind. In the legend, the angels fell in love with mortal women and were banished from Heaven, after which they were referred to as the Lost Souls. Hearing that phrase – the Lost Souls – was my dun-dun DUN! moment.

2. If you could live with three fictional YA characters, which would they be?

Thomas from Dean Koontz's ODD THOMAS series, Katsa from GRACELING (maybe she could teach me some kickass moves), and Shadow from Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS.

3. Have you ever wanted to have a twin sister? She can be good, doesn't have to be evil?

Sure! As an almost-only child (I have three half-brothers that I didn't really grow up with), I've always wanted a sibling with whom I was close - and you can't get any closer than a twin. It's such a mysterious connection, which is most of why it intrigues me.

4. Describe your novel in four words?

Dark, atmospheric, and sensual.

5. Was it easier writing going through the editing process a second time around with Guardian of the gates?

It was harder because I didn't have my agent's input first. I have the best agent in the world (Steven Malk with Writer's House), and he really helped me refine Prophecy even before it was sold. It made the post-sale revisions much lighter than they might normally have been. With Guardian, it was all me and my incredibly astute, meticulous editor, Nancy Conescu. And she catches EVERYTHING! Which I love about her because it makes me a better writer. But yeah. It's not always easy!

6. Finally, which did you like better? Hardcover or Paperback of Prophecy of the Sister?

I think the paperback is better suited to the audience. And I'm not trying to give you a politician's answer! It's just that I did love the hardcover, but I felt that it was a little too adult for the market. The paperback is beautiful and alluring and a little bit sensual - everything you could ask for in a YA Gothic fantasy!

~~~

And now the contest! You can winnnnn:
Personalized Prophecy paperback, a mini picture frame, and a couple of the pretty hair pins (I have some, they really are pretty!)

Fill out THIS FORM to enter; the deadline is September 1st!
Happy Reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...