12.17.2010

Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers

Who: Courtney Summers
What: Fall for Anything
When: December 21st, 2010
Why: Praise
How: Review Copy


When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the
nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a
brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw?
And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone
else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s
and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Cullen
seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the
key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened
her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her
hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?


Midterms done, sickness passing, so blogging is back!

Falling for Anything by Courtney Summers was just...wow. I had never read anything by her, and that's totally going to change. Fall for Anything was a beautiful, raw, and powerful look about a girl dealing with the loss of her father under the strangest circumstances, and just how far she'll go to know why.

"My hands are dying." That's the first thing Eddie Reeves says in the novel, and that stayed with me throughout the whole thing because I think it just explains her perfectly. After that night, she wasn't alive anymore. It's not that I could relate to her, because I couldn't, but you just understand. She was silent and bipolar (not in a bad way though) and unstable but she had a great voice and I loved reading it from her point of view. Her best friend, Milo, was sweet and strange and at times, irritating, but that's because you want him to tell you the truth about that happened the night of her father's death. I'll get to Culler Evans later.

The plot really was fantastic, with the way Courtney set up all the clues and the mini road trips to get to them. This book definitely gave me chills, with it's eerie settings and suspense. Every time you got one of the clues, you wanted the next one. I read this book in between midterms and I'll tell you, it was agony waiting to finish my test and read some more. Courtney writes...beautifully. It's a swirl of descriptions and emotions and you never feel like you're being dragged along on this wild goose chase, but like you're in it, and then it's that you need to know why he died as well.

Finally...Culler Evans. When he first came into the picture, I loved him. He was just like Eddie, quiet and determined to find out the truth. They go on this journey together, and it's just...incredible the way Courtney describes it. And then, that huge plot twist came. Dear god, you definitely won't see that coming, I promise. I had to put the book down and say a few "Oh my gods" and take a few breaths before I kept on reading. This is a book that haunts you long after you turn the last page.

My rating? A definite AWESOMESAUCE.

Happy Reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...