3.30.2011

Born At Midnight by C.C Hunter

Who: C.C Hunter
What: Born At Midnight
When: March 29th, 2011
Where: St. Martin's Griffin
Why: Hype
How: For Review One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…


Born At Midnight is an easy, quick, and fun read that lovers of Paranormal Romance will devour.

Kylie life is a bit crazy these past few days. Her boyfriend broke up with her because she wouldn't put out, her parents can't stand each other and are getting a divorce, and her mother has decided to send her to Shadow Falls, a camp for troubled teenagers, after she gets caught at a drug-filled party even though she hadn't consumed anything. At first, I thought her mother was totally insane, but after a while, she grew on me. The problem, thinking about it, is that while I enjoyed reading this, it didn't leave a lasting impresson. It's your typical paranormal romance love triangle.

One thing I did love was how relatable Kylie was. Even though this has, you know, vampires and werewolves and all those things, at the core, it was a story about Kylie trying to find herself amist all these crazy things happening to her. Even though she frusterated me sometimes with her complete denial that she was anything supernatural, I understood all her reactions and knew if I was in that position, I would've done the same thing. The plot at times took a backseat to Kylie's inner broodings, mostly about the three conflicting males in the story, which surprised me.

Now, what confused me was that love square. Yeah, it's not a triangle, it's a square. Kylie is trying to choose between Derek (who I told you I was going to like), Lucas (who they say she had a secret past with but it's not exactly that secret or dangerous or even...important.) and Trey (her FRIGGING exboyfriend who annoyed the freak out of me and gah.) I understand her still pining a bit for Trey, because it's something all teenage girls go through. Your boyfriend dumps you and even though you're in the process of moving on, the thought of him tugs on your heart strings a bit. Lucas was your typical bad boy werewolf, which isn't fairing well with me anymore, especially since I wasn't a fan of him from the start. Derek was sweet, funny, and most importantly, respected Kylie's wishes (this is an important must for me), even when he knew she wanted differently. He gave her time to get her thoughts straightened out and I admired that about him. Plus, he's half fae!

Happy Reading!
-Harmony

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...