10.05.2012

Favorite Book First Lines: Again With The Shock Factor

Hey guys! So I was thinking about what I wanted to post about today and then I realized I didn't get to do Favorite Book First Lines on Totally Booksessed a few weeks ago and I want to do it here!

The first line of your book is arguably one of the most important. Once your cover and black/side flap interest your reader enough for them to actually open your book, you have one final impression to make before they dive in. If I'm at B&N, I'll give things a chapter to catch my attention. If it's a review book or a book I already bought, I'll give it 50 pages. But! Sometimes that first line is just so awesome, so epic, I have to keep reading and that's that!

"Imagine my surprise when, after three centuries of fighting with siblings ov a spare furry teat and licking my water from a bowl, I was given a huge human nipple, all to myself, filled with warm mother's milk."

- The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S King
Why: GUYS. If you know what this book is about, which I didn't have a very detailed notion of, you're immediately like WUT. 



"It did not surprise Fire that the man in the forest shot her." 
- Fire by Kristin Cashore 
Why: You'll probably stop to notice I love shock factor in my first lines. 

"Wait, did you, you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in a classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides."
- Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Why: This is SO SO perfectly Evie, I adore it. Plus it automatically fills you in that this is going to be a funny book. 



"It was the first day of November and so, today, someone will die."
- The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater 
Why: AGAIN WITH THE SHOCK FACTOR.



"I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison my mother used to try to expel me from her womb."
- Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Why: This might be my favorite of all of them, actually! This simple line has so much pain, memories, and sadness in it that it makes you stop and gasp to yourself. 


I really want to hear some of your favorite first lines so leave them down below! Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...