5.25.2010

The day in which I have Thief Eyes

Tuesday. O5.25.1O
h
Thief Eyes
Janni Lee Simmer
Random House

After her mother mysteriously disappears, sixteen-year-old Haley convinces her father to take her to Iceland, where her mother was last seen. There, amidst the ancient fissures and crevices of that volcanic island, Haley meets gorgeous Ari, a boy with a dangerous side who appoints himself her protector.
h
When Haley picks up a silver coin that entangles her in a spell cast by her ancestor Hallgerd, she discovers that Hallgerd's spell and her mother's disappearance are connected to a chain of events that could unleash terrifying powers and consume the world. Haley must find a way to contain the growing fires of the spell—and her growing attraction to Ari.

h
This book is really, really good! I was pleasantly surprised by it. I had liked Bones of Faerie, but I hadn't really satisfied my romance quota for books, and I was expecting this one to also be lacking in the romance department. But AHH, I was wrong. I loved Ari as a person and as a love interest as well. The plot is very integrated with real Iceland myths and legends and another cool thing, IT'S SET IN ICELAND. How cool is that? really, how many books are set in Iceland? This one was the first I read!
I liked Haley a lot, and the fact that she is a bit impulsive but doesn't take things to the extreme and thinks about stuff before she does it Something you have to know is that Haley's got a boyfriend named Jared back home in Arizona, and Ari's in Iceland. And instead of automatically throwing herself unto him and making out "passionately" she stops and thinks "whoa wait a minute, I got a boyfriend". Which I liked, because it also reminded me of Graceling. In Graceling, when Katsa and Po realize they love each other they don't go into a make-out frenzy, they STOP and think about it for a while until they finally decide what they fell is right for the both of them to be happy with each other.
Making conscious decisions is important in life and Haley is a good example of that by not throwing herself at Ari because she knows it's wrong too because of her boyfriend back home. That doesn't mean she can't and doesn't like him, Oh-ho she does, but she doesn't let it cloud her judgement and get her into a make-out frenzy. Yeah it's a term, look it up :)
I loved Ari, he was funny and charming but had a serious air to him that was comforting and seemed natural to him. A strange outlook on life when he turns into a berserker (don't know what that is, read the book and find out) as well. It's his calmness in the toughest of situations and his warmth with haley that makes him a lovable and enjoyable character.
I rate this: AMAZINGNESS.
h
Comment! Buy this book! Discuss! And Happy Reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...