5.08.2010

The day in which I reach The Clearing

I'm so sorry for this being late! I've been MIA for the past few days but no more!
h
The Clearing
Heather Davis
h
In this bittersweet romance, two teens living decades apart form a bond that will change their lives forever.
h
Amy is drawn to the misty, mysterious clearing behind her Aunt Mae's place because it looks like the perfect place to hide from life. A place to block out the pain of her last relationship, to avoid the kids in her new town, to stop dwelling on what her future holds after high school. Then, she meets a boy lurking in the mist--Henry. Henry is different from any other guy Amy has ever known. And after several meetings in the clearing, she's starting to fall for him.
h
But Amy is stunned when she finds out just how different Henry really is. Because on his side of the clearing, it's still 1944. By some miracle, Henry and his family are stuck in the past, staving off the tragedy that will strike them in the future. Amy's crossing over to Henry's side brings him more happiness than he's ever known--but her presence also threatens to destroy his safe existence.

h
This book was beautiful. The plot was unique, the romance spectacular. I felt empathy for Amy while she tried to cope with her past boyfriend's abusive intentions and I felt happiness when Amy was able to accomplish things she hadn't been able to.
The plot was actually something i had never heard of before! A love that stretched through the decades, through a hidden mist that lurked on the corners on her aunt's farm. If anyone has ever heard of a plot like that, please tell me so in the comments because I'm amazed.
Henry's life was something that was the most interesting for me. The way one small prayer turned his life into an endless summer, one that he must endure again and again to stop something terrible from happening to his family. The way he sacrificed his freedom, his whole life, to save his family was noble and caring and a big part of the reason I love him.
Speaking of Henry Briggs, let's go ahead and talk about him. Once I finished this book, I named him the third most awesome male lead in a book (behind Po and Peeta and in front of Tamani and Sam). He's from the 1944's and I get that people acted different, but he was such a gentlemen with her and never pushed her boundaries. He never forced anything upon her that he knew she didn't want, and was always cautious when he needed to be. You could tell he loved her, longed for her when she wasn't around, and it made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. There should be more Henry Briggs in the world for the heart-broken.
Amy was a character who had a rough life, one filled with falseness and lies and abuse. She hopes to find something else, something real, in the small town that her aunt lives in. And she finds it. She's a strong female lead with a good heart. She fears just like everyone else, but she learns to fight for what she believes in and stand up against some of her biggest fears.
Now the one thing I didn't like, was the ending. The ending disappointed me completely and I found myself grumbling about how Heather Davis should have ended it different. Now many will believe it was the only option, but I don't. I think there was more than one option to that ending, and it wasn't the right option to choose.
I rate: AMAZINGNESS. Honestly, the thing that ruined it for me was the ending. It affected the end result greatly. If the ending had been different, this definitely would've been an awesomesauce. It let me hanging going "Are you serious?"
h
Happy reading!
-Harmony B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...