10.16.2012

"Cause your red ribbon has me tied up in knots"


Title: Burn For Burn
Author: Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian 
Release Date: September 18th, 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster 
Pages: 368
Cover Judge: I love it! Each girl was exactly how I pictured them and the font is awesome
Quote Choice: I had a sneaking suspicion about this poem and I was right.
Source: For Review 
Goodreads: Link

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.
Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.
Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.
Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.


So...this was a weird book, not going to lie. It's been like two days since I read it and I'm still confused on what was even going on. And it doesn't start that way! It starts out like a normal contemporary and then just...what in the world.

But I'll get into that later! What you need to know is that it's about three girls -- Lillia, Kat, and Mary -- who all want revenge on three different people for three different reasons. And so, they all team together to exact their revenge (even if some of it is undeserved). Now, for the girls, I did enjoy reading about each of them! Even though Kat's "too badass for you" attitude got a little tiring, she was a crazy chick. Lillia was probably my favorite because I could empathize with her character (maybe because that was totally me in Middle School) -- hanging out with a popular crowd but a major goody-two-shoes. But what I loved is that she also had a sarcastic, biting streak to her as well as the fact she was protective of the people she cared about. Finally, Mary..was a little weird. But I liked her!

As for the plot, this is where I was confused. The motives for revenge are all legitimate and damn, were these girls going to some extremes to get what they wanted. This isn't child's play, this was real and scary, especially their closing act. But every once in a while, with Mary, they would sneak in some...suspicious behavior. I don't know if it was just coincidence but I really doubt it...but I gave an element of supernatural to it that's difficult to explain unless you've read the book.

Truth to told, I kind of felt for Rennie. Yeah she was an awful girl who was way too selfish and immature, but you could really see some glimpses of her that showed she cared about her friends and the people around her. Reeve was a total asshole and I liked Alex even though I'm still suspicious of him.

The end is what got me just...shaking my head at the book. It ends on such an abrupt note I was turning the blank pages like: "what in the world?" I felt like the story didn't tie up or resolve and with so many unanswered questions it really ruined my view of the book.

But that's my opinion, have you guys read it? What did you think?
Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...