10.17.2012

Food For Thought: Siblings (13)

Hey guys!


One of my favorite things when I'm reading a story is the interaction between family and I think I've talked about that before but I want to focus on something much more in-depth: siblings. (I did do a Food For Thought on parents, in case you want to check it out!)

I think one of the most interesting relationships to read about in YA is sibling relationships because there's so many different ways you can go about it. There's something really special about having a sibling and I think that so many novels don't focus on the intense and intricate relationship some siblings have.

I think the two extremes are something that I'd love to see in YA more often: the rivalry and the intense devotion. I love the idea of having two siblings being pitted against each other (an example would be Prophecy of the Sisters). Because how do you fight (or kill!) someone who is..kind of a part of you?

And then you have on the other spectrum (an example would be the first Iron Fey book), you have this deep connection between siblings that makes one of them cross countries to get to them and to keep them safe. This is probably my favorite because you can have close friends or close family but nothing beats the bond between siblings that are willing to sacrifice their lives for each other.

Now enough of my rambling, I want to hear your opinion! Siblings, yay or nay? Any great books that have siblings in it that you'd recommend to me?

Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...